OK so it's more fun than crazy, but it's still madness!

Wednesday, January 9, 2008

And people think I don't know snow....

When I moved to the Midwest, I cannot tell you the number of times I heard "oh, you're from Arizona??? Wait until this winter". I tried to tell them...TRUST ME, I know winter. Well after 10 years back here, the gray endless weeks full of ice and blowing snow has proven to me that I don't know winter....but I can say without a doubt...Midwesterners might know winter, but they don't know snow.

I grew up in a mountain town. My house sat at 7500 feet (it still does ;) which is actually higher than Denver. A half of a mile higher, in fact. Snow is a common occurence, one that does not require Snow Team Coverage on radio and TV, wide spread closures, and drivers with amnesia. Snow meant that the area was going to be covered with anywhere from 6-36", school might be delayed, the plows and Cats would be out in force, and life would go on. You threw your vehicle in 4 wheel drive or strapped on your snow chains, and off you went. The next day, the sun came out, shone for 3 days, melted all the snow, and it started over again.

My Dad was visiting their "summer home" earlier this week and was able to enjoy the peaceful magic of a Flagstaff snow storm. Here's some pictures. What you can't see is the 12000 ft mountain behind the house.







4 comments:

Maufi said...

Oh man, that is what I miss. Seasons, snow. Great pics.

Ilka

Lisa said...

Heh heh. When I met my australian friends I asked if they even owned socks. Guess I can't ask YOU that! :)

Unknown said...

I've come to realize that people are just stupid. Arizona is always 110 degrees and all desert. North and South Carolina are just one big state. ;-)

S

Cathy said...

Beautiful!

Waaah! I want some snow! (Not that much, though!)

Cat