OK so it's more fun than crazy, but it's still madness!

Friday, May 11, 2007

Tough news.....

I took Bubba to the vet todayfor a nasty, nasty, NASTY ear infection. So nasty that when I called, the receptionist said "how do you know it's an ear infection, is he scratching alot?" And I said no...his ear is dripping pus. BLECH!

While I was there, I asked her to check into his coughing and hacking up fluid. I told her I thought it was Congestive Heart Failure, but was hoping that instead it was related to his insane weight gain. Probably not, she said. She took an x-ray and showed me the results. Very cloudy, fluid filled lungs, and a bottle cap lodged in his stomach. I asked if it was very mild or just mild heart failure. She said "this is very severe, if you don't get him on meds, he has about 2 more weeks left to live".

WAH!

I told her we knew he was dying, he is an old dog, but he's full of life still. We were hoping that he would just go in his sleep. She said that doesn't happen with this type of heart failure.

I told her we'd agree to the meds to make his life more comfortable. She gave him a one month supply and told me to prepare my family for his death, because we don't have alot of time.

WAH!

Bubba is still very active and full of life. He can't get around like he used to, but he loves playing with the kids and still wants to act like a puppy.

As for the bottle cap, she suggested x-rays and surgery. FOR MY DYING DOG?!??!? NO. Not even close. It could have gotten lodged in there today, it could have happened 12 years ago. Not worrying about it at this point.

Sorry to share this so publically, but I really don't want to tell the story more than once.

6 comments:

Kay said...

Awww, I'm sorry. :( :(

Elizabeth said...

Oh, I'm so sorry! That's not easy to prepare for the lost of a long time family pet. Many hugs for you and the kids!

Anonymous said...

OH Sarah, I am so so soooooooo sorry. Poor bubba...thinking of you guys at this VERY hard time. We've had Murray over 10 years now so I know that bond. I can't imagine.....you're in our thoughts!

Mom2Morgan.Dylan said...

Oh Sarah, a dog is such a huge part of your family. I'm so sorry, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I hope you can enjoy Bubba for a bit more. Huge {{ HUGS }}. ~Dawn

living in PA said...

Sarah, I'm so sorry. I hope he is comfortable for now, at least. I can't imagine preparing the girls for this.

Cathy said...

Oh Sarah, I am so sorry. He's had a wonderful life with you. Hugs for all of you. ~cat